This was one of my cupcake recipes featured earlier this summer for about.com , but I thought I'd share it with you in case you missed the post (and because my mind is still wrapped up in my trip to Haiti last week to come up with a new cupcake recipe just yet):
Remember last summer when my good friend Kelsie and her family hosted us on the island of Oahu in Hawaii? We hiked Diamond Head, were guests at a Luau, had a lot of fun in the sun on countless beaches, swam with sea turtles, and of course—devoured every single dish that featured pineapple as an ingredient.
Pineapple is a versatile fruit that can flavor both the sweetest of treats to the most savory of dishes. Not only does it taste great, but it is high in Vitamin C and fiber, so it is good for you, too.
From fruit salad to pineapple and ham pizza, every bite of this fresh fruit brings memories of sunshine to mind. Other fruits that bring memories of sunshine to mind? Chilled orange slices at the beach and sweet lemonade on a summer day. The contrast between the heat of a summer day and the chill of fresh citrus is so refreshing.
I love cutting up fresh orange, pineapple, and lemon slices and freezing them to place in glasses of ice water too cool down. Add a fun straw and sit poolside and you have a perfect summer day!
I wanted to bring all of my favorite summer citrus flavors together in a cupcake that is a must-bring to summer barbecues. Or if you are craving a simple summer dessert, these cupcakes are the treat for you!
This recipe is so easy. A simple yellow cupcake recipe is the base for a light, citrus cake and a pineapple cream cheese frosting garnished with a fresh orange slice will send you on a tropical vacation without even having to pack your bags. Coconut Oil takes the place of butter in this summery recipe as a tropical twist. Sit back, relax, and enjoy this refreshing treat.
- 2 ½ cups of flour
- 2 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2/3 cup of melted coconut oil
- 1 ¾ cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup of pineapple juice
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- 1-8 oz. package of cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 cup of Cool Whip
- 3 cups of powdered sugar
- ½ cup of drained crushed pineapple
- ½ tsp. orange zest
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and fill muffin pan with 24 cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, mix coconut oil and sugar. Slowly add in eggs, vanilla extract, pineapple juice, lemon juice, and orange zest.
4. Mix wet ingredients with dry ingredients until well incorporated.
5. Spoon into muffin liners and bake for 14-18 minutes until wooden toothpick inserted comes out clean.
6. While cupcakes cool completely, mix cream cheese, cool whip, powdered sugar, crushed pineapple and orange zest until smooth.
7. Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes and top with orange slices.